Southey Littleton, from Accomack County
Southey Littleton was the second son of Ann Southey and her second husband Nathaniel Littleton. Ann came to Virginia in 1622 on the Southampton with her parents and five siblings. By the time of the 1624/25 Muster, Ann’s father and three of her siblings were dead, and she lived in James City with her mother and a brother named Henry. Ann Southey Harmar, widow, had married Nathaniel Littleton by 1 Jun 1740. Nathaniel Littleton, sixth son of Sir Edward Littleton of Shropshire, England, came to Virginia about 1635 and settled in the part of Accomack County that became Northampton.
Southey Littleton owned 2,340 acres at Nandua Creek in Northampton, 2,300 acres in Accomack County, and other land in Northampton County and Somerset County, MD. In 1674, Southey inherited 4,250 acres from his brother Edward Littleton. Much of the Littleton land had originally belong to Southey’s mother, Ann Southey—land she inherited from her first husband Charles Harmar and from her father Henry Southey.
Southey Littleton was a prominent figure on the Eastern Shore. He was a member of Governor Berkeley’s court that sat in judgment of members of Bacon’s Rebellion. He served as a Burgess from Accomack in 1676 and 1677 and was one of three men appointed to value goods from the condemned ship Phenix. Along with Colonel William Drummond, he was sent to Albany, NY, to confer with Governor Andros on Indian Affairs; he died while engaged in this commission. His will, written at Albany-on-the Hudson, was proved in NY and in Accomack. He named his seven children in his will and his executors were charged with the disposition of 7,314 acres in Accomack.
Southey married Sarah Bowman, who predeceased him. His children were named Nathaniel, Bowman, Esther, Sarah, Elizabeth, Gertrude, and Southey.
Descendants of Southey Littleton who belong to the First Mississippi Company: Betty Stewart and Betina Cooper